Thursday, February 23, 2012

FREE COOKING: Quick & Easy Tortilla Pizza




In the mood for something fast, easy and tasty? Or in the mood for something crunchy, cheesy yet healthy? Well...I got something for yah! The quick & easy tortilla pizza!!! 

It's the type of dish I'll make on those lazy days I'm really NOT in the mood for chopping or sauteing anything, but not willing to compromise too much on health either! 

One thing about tortillas though, is that most of them are highly processed. If you want something closer to "real food", I would encourage you to check labels and find one with the least amount of ingredients in the list, and with nothing you can't pronounce! 

The other day as I walked through a Target aisle, I saw some tortillas and thought of getting one, since it's the type of thing I like having around for days like this. But as I started doing what I always do before placing something into my food cart: read the labels, I was shocked to see how ALL of the ones they offered had a huge list of ingredients, and most of which I could not pronounce! I just could not get myself to buy one.

A few days later I found Ezekiel 4:9 tortilla (something that comes from the Bible has to be good for you! ;) at the frozen "health" section at Kroger. 

And check this ingredient list out: 

organic sprouted wheat, filtered water, organic sesame seeds, organic sprouted soybeans, organic sprouted barley, organic sprouted millet, organic sprouted lentils, organic sprouted spelt, sea salt.  

That's it! Not even oil or yeast in them! Only actual real foods. Wow! Definitely too much to ask for these days.


Pretty cool, eh? And then when you research about the benefits of sprouted grains, you get even more excited about them!!! We usually consume most of our bread products from them. And little one loves it too!


Here are the ingredients I used for this dish-but feel free to use whatever you like as a topping! The great thing about cooking is that you DON'T have to follow what someone else likes, you can add what YOU like!
  • Roasted garlic tomato sauce (ready from jar)
  • Thawed frozen corn
  • Sliced onions
  • Fresh spinach leaves
  • Part-Skim mozzarella cheese. For my vegan friends, you can use a vegan cheese of your choice! I prefer to eat cheese less often and eat the real thing, since vegan cheese is highly processed and doesn't seem to fall into a "whole food" category.

So let's get started on the "how-to":

  • First spray a large skillet with a oil spray.
  • Place tortilla on skillet.
  • Spread tomato sauce on the tortilla.
  • Add veggie toppings, I used just corn, onions and spinach.
  • Top it with shredded cheese



    • Cover skillet and keep tortilla there until cheese melts.
    • Once cheese melts, remove pizza from skillet and place on a round oven/pizza dish and place in oven under 400F just until cheese browns. It browns pretty fast, so stay tuned!




    Looks great, doesn't it?!



    YUM!
    ENJOY!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment